Tips for a More Sentimental Wedding
by Allison Rushby
- Spend a day making a time capsule. Each of you can write
a letter containing your thoughts, dreams and hopes for
your new life together. Put the two letters in a box and
seal it. You can then open the box on a set date, maybe
your 25th wedding anniversary.
- Consider having a sentimental theme wedding, "romantic
candlelight" would be a good idea.
- Make a special wedding gift for your partner. For example,
you could laminate a box with photographs or keepsakes,
such as ticket stubs, from your courtship together.
- Have a message to your partner printed on a rented billboard
that they will be sure to see on their way to the ceremony!
- Order a bridal bouquet with a special meaning or message.
You will find that most flowers have a specific meaning.
For example, ivy means fidelity, friendship and marriage,
violets mean modesty and hope, zinnias mean thoughts of
absent friends, jasmine is for happiness and tulips mean
- On your wedding day, dab your, and your partner’s,
handkerchiefs with your favorite fragrances, for a reminder
of each other.
- Have the groom escort his mother and grandmother to their
seats at your ceremony venue.
- Write your own vows. Couples often find that their own
words can be more meaningful than traditional vows and can
give their ceremony a feeling of intimacy.
- Incorporate a family heirloom into your ceremony. This
could include a piece of jewelry, clothing or a family bible.
Some brides like to copy the entire wedding gowns their
mother or grandmother wore.
- Release some doves.
- Arrange for a family member or close friend to make a
video consisting of photos of you and the groom since you
first met. Show the video to your guests while you are having
your photos taken.
- Copy the decorations or cake top used by your parents
or grandparents at their wedding.
- Place wedding photos of your parents and grandparents
on your cake table for a sentimental and romantic touch.
If you would like, you could ask all your guests to bring
a photo of their wedding and have a table set up especially
to display these photos.
- Have two special champagne flutes personalized for your
reception. You can then use them on special occasions at
- Take secret singing lessons, and surprise your fiancé
at your reception by singing your song or a favorite love
- Ask your DJ or band to play your parent’s favorite
song and have them dance to it.
- On your wedding night, strew your bed with rose petals.
- While you are on your honeymoon, write a postcard to
your partner and mail it for a special surprise when he
Brookside Farm is operated by Family
All proceeds from weddings support the charity
work of Family Care Foundation, as do car donations. Click
here to make a car donation, truck donation, RV donation or
boat donation to Donate
Car to Charity