The Groom’s Countdown Checklist
By Leah Steenstra
Feeling a little lost as to what the duties of a groom are?
Below is a list of things you can do, with or without your
bride, to ensure that the wedding goes smoothly.
12 to 18 Months Before
- Meet with both sets of parents to discuss the budget and
style of the wedding.
- Go with your fiancée and book the reception site.
Many sites fill up quickly so the earlier you pick a spot,
- Reserve your ceremony location.
- Choose your groomsmen. Figure on one usher per 50 guests.
9 Months Before
- Decide on an Officiant.
- Write out a preliminary guest list. Be sure to get input
from your parents.
- Register at one or several locations.
- Before selecting a caterer, go to a tasting.
6 Months Before
- Choose and order your attire and your groomsmen’s
- Plan and book your honeymoon. Are you looking for fun,
seclusion, fine dining? Contact a travel agent for help.
3 Months Before
- Finalize the guest list.
- Order your wedding bands and decide on inscriptions.
- Check state requirements concerning marriage license
and required medical tests.
- Decide on living arrangements and order furnishings.
2 Months Before
- Buy wedding gifts for your bride and groomsmen.
- Get blood test for marriage license.
- Pick up your wedding rings, make sure they fit properly
and check the inscription for accuracy.
2 Weeks Before
- Pick up your marriage license.
- Give ushers instructions for seating the guests at the
ceremony, especially if there are guests requiring special
- Practice your toast to the bride’s family.
- Pick up your rental attire and remind your groomsmen
to do the same.
- Arrange for someone to bring the gifts from the reception
to your home.
- Get a haircut.
1 Day Before
- Attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Give gifts
- Do something sweet for your bride. A short letter, a
flower on her pillow…. she’s worked hard, show
her how much you appreciate her.
Brookside Farm is operated by Family
All proceeds from weddings support the charity
work of Family Care Foundation, as do car donations. Click
here to make a car donation, truck donation, RV donation or
boat donation to Donate
Car to Charity